Monday, January 19, 2009

Time doesn't heal all wounds...





January 20, 2006...a day that is forever etched in my memory.
There are just those moments in life when something happens that you never forget where you were or what you were doing when you receive that phone call. I was having a normal Friday afternoon when I received the call that my cousin had been shot thirteen times in the head and chest while dropping his children off at his parents home. He was standing beside his truck and talking to his mother when someone decided they would change our world forever.

Within minutes there were news reporters, crime scene investigators, police officers, family, friends, onlookers, and such gathering to try put all the broken pieces of the puzzle together and trying to make sense of what was happening. I remember that it was so disturbing to hear all the false and negative reports on the news channel about "a drug deal gone bad"...we knew this boy was clean. We just couldn't prove it at the time. When all was said and done his death was ruled as a mistaken identity murder. But make no mistake...I still miss him every day!

Carlos, I miss all the lighthearted chats and family get togethers where we would laugh and just go at each other! I miss all those 'names' you would call me. I miss all the corny weight watcher jokes you felt you had to tell me. I wish there was a way to bring you back to us. I wish there was a way to 'undo' the mistake someone made three years ago. I wish I you could see my little boy that you so loving called 'baby powder' (because he was so pale) :) I could wish all day...but my wishes won't come true. Time has not yet healed the hole you left behind in my life! Still missing you...

~Carol

No comments: