Thursday, April 23, 2009

Spider bites, Chicken Pox, and an Award...All before my first cup of coffee!

So, yeah...it's been a LONG day. Oh, and I don't drink coffee. Although after today, I just might start!

This morning Landon woke up looking a bit funny to me. It took me a moment to figure out what was wrong. He had a huge knot on his forehead right between his eyes with redness all around the spot. Since there is a fire station on our street, my husband took him there to have the EMT look at him while I got dressed. He comes home and tells me the EMT's think we need to take him in to his doctor immediately because it looks like a spider bite.

We take Landon in to the doctor at 8:50 this morning, and his doctor tells us that it is a spider bite, but not a poisonous one. He tells us what to do for it and proceeds to check Landon's ears, throat and all the normal stuff they do at a visit. He gets to Landon's tummy and says, "Hmmm. I think Landon is breaking out with chicken pox."

Imagine our surprise. The doctor says it will be a mild case since Landon was vaccinated for them, but I'd prefer no case at all! So, I guess we'll be spending the next few days indoors and not going to a birthday skating party tonight and to the zoo and aquarium like we had planned for our family day on Friday. Needless to say, I will have to deal with one disappointed little boy the next few days.


Finally, something to make me smile today!
Tanya, from Miller Racing Family gifted me with “An Attitude of Gratitude” award. Thank You, Tanya!!


So there are a few rules to this award:
1.Put the logo on your blog or post
2. Nominate at least 10 blogs that show an attitude of gratitude
3. Link to your nominees within your post
4.Comment on their blogs to let them know they've received this award
5.Share the love and link to this post and the person who nominated you for the award. Tell us how you've come to have an attitude of gratitude.

I want to always have an attitude of gratitude for all that I've been blessed with.
I love this quote about gratitude and have to remind myself of it's words often...

"Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos into order, confusion into clarity.... It turns problems into gifts, failures into success, the unexpected into perfect timing, and mistakes into important events. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today and creates a vision for tomorrow."

Now for the last rule of this award...Tell us how you've come to have an attitude of gratitude. This one's hard to put into words, but I'll try. I think the way I've learned to have an attitude of gratitude has been by watching how life operates. What I mean by that is, just when I think I'm having my worst day and everything is upside down and going every way but the way I had planned, all I have to do is look around and realize that there are others who would love to be having my 'bad' day.

Take today for instance, there's a mother somewhere who would love to be taking her child to the doctor and dealing with spider bites and chicken pox. A mother who's either lost a child or has a child facing something much more life-threatening. That alone makes me stop and be grateful for the things I do have...money to take my son to the doctor, a car for him to ride to the doctor in, money for the medication he needs, the assurance that this situation will soon pass...you get where I'm going. When I look at things in that perspective, GRATITUDE puts my chaos of today into order, it turns my problems into gifts.
So take a moment today to be grateful for the small things in life that aren't so small after all.


I am gifting the following with this award...
Monica-Whatever Things
Kimeri-Kimeri's Kastle
Shirley-Dunn But Not Finished
Layla-These Are The Days
Sondra-Dandy Gandee's
Kasey-All That Is Good

3 comments:

Brittany said...

Congratulations Carol! You definitely deserve the award! I'm sorry about your son! I hope he gets over those chicken pox soon...and the spider bite! I had a horrible case of the chicken pox when I was a kid. Thank goodness for the vaccine now!

Kim @ Everything Etsy said...

Oh my gosh! Tomorrow's another day!

Maybe you'll win the giveaway! Thanks for stopping by!

~Kim

Miller Racing Family said...

Bless your heart! Spider bites and chicken pox all in one visit. Well, I guess you won't have to pay for two visits this way.
I love the quote and the reasoning behind you attitude. How our world would be different if we all took a moment and think about what others are going through.
Girl, you so deserve this award and how this post proves that!
Have a blessed day!