Friday, May 22, 2009

It's starting to feel like home now...

Well, we spent most of the day working on cleaning and getting our new place ready for us to move our stuff in and make it officially home. Of course, I had to add some color to the living room walls. I'm just not a white paint kind of girl. My husband and brother in law think my walls look like a chocolate milkshake, I think they just look perfect. What do men know about paint colors? Nothing. Every lady that came over yesterday loved the color and all the men just nod and say, "If momma's happy...everyones happy." Well, I assure you 'momma' here is happy.

There was lots of furniture left in the place after the last person moved and my husband and I had no use for it, so we were sitting it to the curb for the parish to pick up, We were still working late last night when there was a knock on the door. My husband went to answer the door and it was a young couple who had just moved into their first house after being homeless for almost a year. They wanted to ask us if they could take the furniture and use it. The furniture was in great shape, I just had no use for it since we have too much of our own.

I wish you could have seen the look on this couple's face when we told them they could not only have the recliner and end table by the curb, but they could take the couch, sleeper sofa, coffee table, dresser, dinning table and chairs, and entertainment center that was left inside. I also gave her dishes, a toaster, coffee pot, shower curtains, curtains, linens and much more that had been left in boxes. There was so much joy on their face that I had tears in my eyes. She pulled out ten dollars and some change from her pocket and offered to pay me all she had until she received her check on the next day. I told her to put up her money because I was the one receiving the blessing by being able to help her and get the stuff out of the house.

We began to visit with this couple and learned that she works at the McDonalds here in town and he works for another company that my husband was familiar with. Before they left we had secured our first Bible study and they have promised to come and visit us in church. The best part of all? This couple has several children, nieces and nephews that have never been to church, and to a lady who loves children and Sunday School and changing childrens lives by introducing them to Jesus...well, lets just say I couldn't stop smiling for the rest of the night.

So, we are off to finish cleaning and painting the house today. Hope everyone has the best day ever.

5 comments:

Alexis said...

Now aren't you really glad you didn't get in that other house right off? What an incredible story! God is already working through your being there!

Monica said...

That's awesome Carol!
I can't wait to see pictures of your new place!

Carol Kennon said...

Yes, Alexis, I am SO glad that God knows just where to put us at just the right time.

Monica, would you believe that I have not taken one picture yet of the trailer we are actually going to live in first? That's so unlike me, but we've just been so busy. I do however have pictures of the other house that I took when we thought we were going to get into it first.

I'm so excited because I seen this young couple again in town at the store this morning and they just hugged me and told me thanks and how much they appreciated all the stuff. They went home last night and had set up house with it all. It's a wonderful feeling when you know you've made someone's life a little happier and easier.

Miller Racing Family said...

What a blessing you are. That is such a great story. Isn't God great, he is already using you guys in a mighty way! Thanks for sharing this blessing!

Dunn But Not Finished said...

God has a way of working everything out - doesn't He? He's an awesome God. I'll be praying for this couple. God bless you and your family.