Monday, June 7, 2010

Happy Birthday, LANDON!

This morning, when you wake up, I will not complain about you jumping in the middle of my bed and knocking the breath out of me...because I realize that one day soon, you won't be running to me first thing in the morning when you awaken.

This morning when you ask for your 'power cereal', I will not correct you and tell you that it's real name is Fruity Pebbles, and I won't even complain about you wanting to drink the milk from your straw bowl as I am pouring it into the cereal...because I realize that one day soon you won't be spending your breakfast time with just me and you.

This morning I will listen to your endless talk about rockets, and airplanes, and hydro-sonic and super-sonic speeds...because I realize that one day soon you won't be talking and sharing all your thoughts and dreams with me.

This morning I am going to leave the breakfast dishes in the sink and spend time with you putting those crazy alphabet and number puzzles together...yes, the ones that I really hate to see all over the floor...because I know that one day I'm gonna miss stepping on those puzzle pieces.

This afternoon when you tell me that you want McDonalds, I promise not to complain about their nasty food and tell you that we have eaten there every single day for the last week...because I know that one day I'm gonna pass McDonalds and cry my heart out knowing that you aren't in the backseat asking for me to stop.

Today when you take out my camera and want to take a picture of yourself a hundred times, I'm just gonna smile...because I know that one day that camera just won't mean as much to me without you running around getting into mischief and me trying to catch you in the act. I know that one day I'm gonna miss seeing all those pictures you took of your foot, your nose, your eye, your hand, the grass and all the other silly things you love to snap a picture of.

Today when you ask me to buy you yet another package of those silly plastic, worm, fishing baits, I'm gonna gladly pay $2 for them. What's two dollars when compared to the wonderful memories of the smile and joy on your face as you bring them home and put them in your little tackle box? See...I know that one day I'll walk past that aisle in Nichol's or Wal-Mart and wish I could have you walking beside me getting excited because you found a color of worms that you didn't have in your collection.

Today when you ask me to sit outside and watch you jump on the trampoline, I'm going to turn the computer off, and sit and enjoy that time with you...because one day you'll be too old to want me to sit and watch you do something so simple and silly as jumping on a trampoline.


This evening I am going to let you splash in my big tub and make all the mess you want...because I know that one day I'm gonna miss having to use three towels to clean up from your cannonball jumps. Oh, and I'm not even gonna complain about the amount of bubbles you put in your bath water...Oh, how I am gonna miss those bubbles one day.

Tonight when you ask me for one more hug and one more drink of water before you go to bed, I will not complain. I will gladly let you get another glass of water...even though I know you are stalling for time. I will give you two more hugs and even sneak in a kiss while I can...because too soon I'm gonna pass by that bedroom door of yours and it will be closed more than it's open. Too soon you will not be as free with sharing your space with me as you are now.

See, I've noticed that I can already look back on just the last five years and already I miss some of the little things I used to do for you. I miss holding you till you feel asleep in my arms, and laying you in your crib and trying to sneak out of your room without waking you up. I miss picking up those bottles all over the house and washing them each day. I miss changing those diapers. I miss that silly little ring seat in my tub. I miss so many things about your growing up.

I guess that's the normal thing that happens to a mom as her little boy grows up. I'm sure it's only natural to miss the little things that I complained about at one time. But today, son...I'm gonna soak up every little minute with you. I'm gonna store every smile that crosses your face, and I'm gonna listen and remember every word that you say because as I look back...I can't seem to understand just how five years crept up on me so fast. One thing I know for sure, today my world is going to slow down, and I'm going to store up as many precious memories I can. Today I'm going to spend time just enjoying being with you and watching you enjoy life.

Today...you turn five...or as you put it, A WHOLE HAND! Today, I am going to wrap your hand in mine and see the world through your eyes. You have brought me and daddy so much joy that it's impossible to even try and explain the love we have for you. All someone has to do is just mention your name and instantly a smile is on our faces. You are the joy of our lives. You have brought laughter to us...along with a few gray hairs. We lie in bed so many nights laughing and talking of the things you have said or done that day. We fall asleep so many nights talking of the things that you have done, or planning special things to do with you on our days off. If we've said it once, then we've said it a million times, "We don't know what we would do without you." See, you are our world...you are what makes us happy. You are what completes your dad and I.

Happy Birthday Landon...Happy 5th birthday! Without a doubt...you are our greatest accomplishment in this life. You are the most precious part of our lives...and the one thing that we can take with us to heaven. Everything else is just temporary...it will all pass away one day, or be left behind in eternity, but everything that we put into your life, and every effort we make to lead you in the direction of truth will not be in vain. Children are our heritage...and you have made your dad and I rich!

Love...Mom!

2 comments:

Miller Racing Family said...

Now girl this is not the post for a post pregnant mommy to read. I think I might have went through an entire box of Kleenexes. But they were well worth it. Great post and it is a wonderful reminder for all mommies.
I hope Landon has a great birthday!

Elena said...

Oh Carol that is just beautiful. You have captured your little boys spirit so well on paper. God is so good and I can say a hardy Amen to all that you have said of what your little boy means to you. My husband and I feel the same way about our daughter that we waited for, for so many years!